Applications for entry to the professional psychology masters degree programmes in 2022 have now closed.
Update on 5 October 2021: All applicants have been notified (via email) as to whether they have been shortlisted for the selection interviews or not. Details of the selection interviews are contained in the letters sent to shortlisted applicants.
As per the Discipline of Psychology Selection Policy, no feedback can be provided to unsuccessful applicants at any point of the selection process.
Overview of professional psychology master’s degree programmes
The Discipline of Psychology on the Pietermaritzburg Campus offers the following professional psychology Master’s Degrees by coursework:
- Masters of Social Sciences (Clinical Psychology) 2020 booklet
- Masters of Social Sciences (Counselling Psychology) 2020 booklet
- Masters of Social Sciences (Educational Psychology) 2020 booklet
- Masters of Social Sciences (Research Psychology) 2020 booklet
- Applications now close 12h00 on Friday 30 July.
- UKZN students who are unable to provide copies of original degree certificates and/or academic records from UKZN with their masters applications may include copies of their degree e-certificates, proof of being degree complete by the College office, and screen shots of their academic results from Student Central in their applications.
- All applicants are reminded that if their application is successful, they will need to supply original certified copies of all documents before registration will be permitted.
Applications for entry in 2022 (clinical, counselling, educational, and research psychology on the UKZN Pietermaritzburg Campus) – applications now close 12h00 on 30 July (not 23 July as originally indicated)
Various professional psychology master’s degree programmes are offered on the Howard College (Durban) and Pietermaritzburg campuses of UKZN. Programmes vary on each campus. Please check the Psychology websites for each campus for further details on programmes on offer. To apply for entry in 2022:
- Download and study the Discipline of Psychology Application Information Letter 2022 carefully.
- Download and complete the Discipline of Psychology Masters Application Form 2022.
- Download and complete the UKZN Psychology Application for Postgraduate Admission.
- Completed applications should be uploaded to the online portal identified in the application information letter. The completed “Discipline of Psychology Masters Application Form 2022” and “UKZN Psychology Application for Postgraduate Admission” form should be saved in pdf format and not exceed 10MB each. Forms not in pdf format or exceeding 10MB will not be accepted for upload to the online portal. The application information letter also contains information for applicants’ referees.
Applicants can only apply for entry to the clinical, counselling, educational, or research psychology master’s degree programmes on the UKZN Pietermaritzburg (PMB) campus by downloading the above documents, and following the application instructions contained therein. Do not complete an online application through the central UKZN Student Applications and Information Office, or email completed applications to Ms Priya Konan.
- When applying for one of the clinical, counselling, educational, or research psychology master’s degree programmes on the UKZN PMB campus, it is each applicant’s responsibility to ensure that their complete application has been submitted in time. Incomplete or late applications cannot be considered.
- As you will be aware, there is considerable competition for admission to these qualifications. Preference is given to students with good academic results, and to those proficient in an African language.
- Following receipt of applications, a review is done of all complete applications. This review is thorough, double checked, and considers a range of factors for suitability for the master’s programmes. The review includes an evaluation of your academic results, relevant experience, language competence, referees’ reports, research interests and knowledge of the profession. Following the review, you will either be invited to the selection interviews or informed that your application was unsuccessful.
- Due to the large number of applications received, not all applicants may be shortlisted for the selection interviews. Unfortunately, we are not in a position to provide feedback to applicants who have not been shortlisted for the selection interviews.
- Applicants should be informed by 9 August 2021 whether they have been shortlisted for selection interviews, or whether their application has been unsuccessful. If you have not been notified by 9 August, please follow up with Ms Priya Konan. It is an applicant’s responsibility to verify if they have been shortlisted for the selection interviews if they do not receive any notification about their application by 9 August 2021.
Selection interviews for entry in 2022 (clinical, counselling, educational, and research psychology on the UKZN Pietermaritzburg Campus) – Dates still to be finalised.
- Should you be shortlisted for the selection interviews, you will need to be available between Date TBC – Date TBC (dates may vary depending on category) via Zoom. Therefore, if you are shortlisted, you will not need to travel to the UKZN Pietermaritzburg campus to participate in the selection interviews, but you will need to ensure that you have the following in place:
- Access to an internet-enabled device that has access to a video camera and microphone (e.g., laptop, tablet, smartphone),
- Access to a reliable internet connection which will enable your uninterrupted participation during the selection process,
- Access to and familiarity with Zoom
- You should download Zoom in advance (free version is sufficient) to your internet-enabled device. We recommend that you practice using Zoom before the selection process. If you have not used Zoom before, or have not been invited to participate in a Zoom meeting before, then watch this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo1l6Ijz_wg
- The onus is on each applicant to ensure that they can participate in the remote selection interviews via Zoom.
- Further details about the clinical, counselling, educational, and research psychology selection interviews will be emailed to shortlisted applicants.
Contact Us (for enquiries about master’s programmes and applications for 2022)
Ms Priya Konan
School of Applied Human Sciences, Discipline of Psychology, Pietermaritzburg Campus, UKZN, Private Bag X01, Scottsville, PIETERMARIZBURG. 3209. SOUTH AFRICA
Telephone: +27(0)33 260 5549