Coursework Masters degrees in psychology (Clinical, Counselling, Educational, Research)
The Discipline of Psychology on the Pietermaritzburg Campus offers the following Masters Degrees by coursework:
- Masters of Social Sciences (Clinical Psychology) 2020 booklet
- Masters of Social Sciences (Counselling Psychology) 2020 booklet
- Masters of Social Sciences (Educational Psychology) 2020 booklet
- Masters of Social Sciences (Research Psychology) 2020 booklet
To apply for the professional psychology master’s degrees in clinical, counselling, educational, or research psychology in 2021 on the UKZN Pietermaritzburg campus, follow the instructions below. Applications close by 12h00 on 25th September 2020. Contact Ms Priya Konan for enquiries – email only email@example.com
- With the exception of the Industrial and Research Psychology programmes, students may only apply to ONE of the Clinical, Counselling, or Educational Psychology programmes on ONE site (i.e., Pietermaritzburg OR Howard College) in an application cycle.
- Applications made for more than one of either Clinical, Counselling, or Educational Psychology, and/or on more than one site will result in all applications submitted by that candidate being disqualified.
- It is the applicant’s responsibility to verify that their application has been received and whether they have been shortlisted for the selection process.
Applicants for the professional psychology master’s degrees in clinical, counselling, educational, and research psychology on the UKZN Pietermaritzburg campus should complete three forms:
1. Click on the following link to the Discipline of Psychology application form Discipline of Psychology Application Form 2021. Once completed, sign and save as pdf, and then email to Ms Konan (firstname.lastname@example.org) before 12h00 on 25th September 2020.
2. Click on the following link to Discipline of Psychology online application form, to be completed before 12h00 on 25th September 2020. https://forms.gle/gm8W6Wy52npaF8SV9 to complete the online form for the clinical, counselling, or educational psychology programme.
Click on the following link https://forms.gle/H3rhEV6GRBQ9EN6ZA to complete the online form for the research psychology programme.
3. Then click on the following link to UKZN postgraduate application form UKZN Psychology Application for Postgraduate Admission. Once
completed, sign and email to Ms Konan (email@example.com) before 12h00 on
25th September 2020.
The 2021 Application fee for South African students is R200.00 (SADC countries, R470; Other countries, US $146). Proof of payment must accompany application.
There is considerable competition for admission to these qualifications. Preference is given to students with good academic results, and to those proficient in an African language.
Various forms of financial assistance may be available on application from UKZN including scholarships and bursaries. See University of KwaZulu-Natal bursaries: http://studentfunding.ukzn.ac.za
Various Masters Degrees are offered on the Howard College (Durban) and Pietermaritzburg campuses of UKZN (Please see table below). Note that programmes on each campus vary.
Students are invited to apply for admission to any of the programmes listed in the table below:
|Name of Qualifications||Campus||Closing dates||Interview Dates|
|Clinical Psychology||Durban & Pietermaritzburg||25th Sep 2020||TBA|
|Counselling Psychology||Durban & Pietermaritzburg||25th Sept 2020||TBA|
|Educational Psychology||Pietermaritzburg||25th Sept 2020||TBA|
|Research Psychology||Pietermaritzburg||25th Sept 2020||TBA|
|Industrial/Organisational Psychology||Durban||25th Sept 2020|
|Health Promotion||Durban||contact 031-2603341|
|Psychology & Society (by Dissertation only)||Durban||contact 031-2603341|
|Research Ethics (SARETI)||Pietermaritzburg||contact 033-2606162||Not offered in 2020.|
Documents for registered masters students
Students registered for masters degrees in the Discipline of Psychology will find the following documents useful:
- School Research Proposal Form
- UKZN Humanities SSREC Ethics Application Form: Humanities_Ethics_Application_Form_2017
- UKZN Biomedical Ethics Application Form: BREC Expedited Application Form Version_1.0 2016
- Research proposal form with guidelines
- Contract between supervisor and candidate
Details of programmes Application forms can be found and downloaded at: https://psychology.ukzn.ac.za
Research Ethics (SARETI) masters details at http://sareti.ukzn.ac.za/
Ms Priya Konan
School of Applied Human Sciences, Discipline of Psychology
Private Bag X01
Telephone: +27(0)33 260 5549